Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Waiting at the airport

So, the time has come. I am at the airport in Delhi. Getting ready to leave India and head back to the states. Sitting here, I am getting really excited to go back. I am going to be really happy to see my family and friends. It will be really nice to be home. Plus, I am kind of disappointed in the last couple of days and am glad to have that part done with. And today was actually just pretty shitty overall, so I am happy to be leaving this particular day. It was just a lot of driving. Some final shopping, not getting the deals that I had been told I could find but because it was my last day, not having much of a choice. Kind of annoying. Driving through really heavy rains which was kinda scary. Stopping by a shop and one of the sales men being totally inappropriate and making me feel SO uncomfortable and trying to kiss me before I could get the hell out of there. And all under the pretense of it being Indian culture and a gift he has to read people and the spiritual side of the country, bull shit. He was simply a creep that tries to take advantage of women traveling by themselves. And it makes me that much more angry at him that he was trying to use something spiritual and special to justify his totally out of line behavior. And then my driver telling me that the restaurant he was supposed to take me to doesn’t open until seven, which is when I needed to leave for the airport and me arguing with him until he finally agreed to take me somewhere else. And then of course there was tons of traffic so if we had left later I would have been totally stressed out and rushing at the airport. And then he took me to a monument I had already been to on Friday and he told me to get out and take pictures. I was like, no, I’ve been here. He was like, really? And I was also starving at this point so I was pretty mad. BUT I finally was able to get some food, leave at the time I had wanted to the airport and make it with plenty of time.

The airport is full of people wearing masks, which I guess makes sense due to the sudden increase of swine flu here. I’m glad I’m leaving now so mom doesn’t worry about me.

I am a little worried about this flight. Last time I was really prepared, at least mentally. I had thought about it a lot. This time I have not. I am about to spend 15 hours on an airplane and then another 9 in transit and another plane and I have not thought about it. But I have a book and ipod and sleeping pills. So with all of that combined with the in flight entertainment system I’ll literally have at my fingertips, I think I’ll be able to manage, one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment