Monday, August 10, 2009

Starting to wrap up …

As I get ready to leave India, I am trying to think about the last six weeks and what they have meant to me. It has been kind of strange for me to be keeping a blog, but I am glad I did. There is a lot that I did not include on here, but it was fun getting to share some of my experiences.

On a number of levels this trip has been amazing. I learned so much from the students and professors here. I had some intense and amazing experiences during field work and talking to people in very remote villages. The extremes and contrast of this country continue to amaze me, as does its diversity and its beauty. The poverty is extreme. Everywhere you go is crowded. The colors are beautiful. The people are incredibly nice. The food is delicious. Being involved on this project has meant a lot to me personally, to be actively working on solutions to the water crisis is incredible. And traveling to different places and hearing stories inside people’s homes is emotional and transforming. The people that I have met will stay with me. On a personal level this trip has also been an incredibly healing six weeks. It has meant so much to be able to be here and do this, to show to myself that I can, to be away from the comforts and familiarity of home, and to get through it not just in one piece, but stronger. I have learned new things about myself. And most of all I have gotten to experience a country that is absolutely amazing. If anyone is thinking about visiting India, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment