Monday, August 10, 2009

Taj Mahal

What can you say after you have seen one of the wonders of the world? How can one capture with words the beauty of one of the greatest memorials of love ever? Seeing the Taj Mahal, being there in person, was an incredible experience.

I got to touch the marble, trace the jeweled flowers with my fingers, sit in the gardens and admire the amazing structure before me. I learned more about the history and the love story behind the amazing mausoleum. The white marble changes color under different types of sunlight. All of the detailed decoration was done by hand and hundreds of years ago. Hearing about the construction gives one a whole new level of appreciation to the beauty and wonder of the architecture. The whole structure took over 22 years to build. The emperor Shah Jahan built it in memory of his great love, his wife Mumtaz Mahal, who was one of three wives. She was the last wife he married and they were truly in love. She traveled with him everywhere. They were on a military expedition when she passed away during childbirth. He was so upset, he decided to build a symbol of their love. Over 350 years later, that symbol still stands today.

The structure was built around her body. Her grave is perfectly symmetrical with the entire architecture. There are four columns on each corner of the structure, they are each built leaning slightly away from the Taj. This way in case there is ever an earthquake, they will fall away from the building and not onto it.

I slowly walked to the Taj. I walked all around the graves, admiring the amazing art work and architecture. I sat in the gardens and watched it. I daydreamed about visiting other wonders of the world and sharing them with those I love. I watched all the other tourists and visitors as they came to admire, take pictures, and experience the Taj in person.

If anyone gets the chance, I highly recommend it. The next time I go, I definitely want to see it in during sunrise or sunset … or under a full moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment